Midvale Middle School
School Community Council Minutes
September 7, 2022 – 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
In-Person Meeting: Midvale’s Front Office Conference Room
Parent Members: Pamela Brown, Kathy Anderson, Alicia Woodward, Alyssa Powers, Andrea Andersen, Benjamin Wood, Berta Oliveira, Janette Pasaye, Jessica Dalton, Mac McCann, Mandy Yu, and Rachel Pena. Alternates: Minh Thu Liew & Stephanie Liu.
Parents in attendance: Pamela Brown, Kathy Anderson, Alicia Woodward, Alyssa Powers, Andrea Andersen, Benjamin Wood, Berta Oliveira, Jessica Dalton, Mac McCann, Janette Pasaye, Mandy Yu, Rachel Pena, Minh Thu Liew and Stephanie Liu.
Visiting Parent: Tami Yamane
Parent not present: Alyssa Powers
Faculty members in attendance: Mindy Robison, Courntey Long, Amy Skelton, Jessica Olmos, Jordan Cloward, Shelley Allen
- Welcome Pamela Brown
Everyone in attendance shared a brief introduction about themselves.
- SCC Bylaws Pamela & Mindy
Consider adding language on
- Election – information included on ballot
Brief review of orders and procedures
- All items that will be voted on will be identified as an action item
- SCC Training Pamela & Mindy
Sessions will be at the Canyons Center in the District Office
9361 S 300 East
Wednesday, September 7 9-10:30 a.m. or 6-7:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 15 1-2:30 p.m. or 6-7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, September 27 10-11:30 a.m. or 6-7:30 p.m.
- PTSA Report
We will have a PTSA report at our next meeting
- Community School Facilitator Report Jessica Olmos
– Our school will continue to support students’ basic needs: clothing, shoes, hygiene items, and food bags on Fridays.
– Vision Screenings for all grades will be on Wednesday, September 14th
– Day of Caring Sept 23rd, whole school service day. Supported by United Way of Salt Lake and Dominion Energy
– Reality Town – December 7th – 50 volunteers needed
- Portrait of a Graduate Update Shelley Allen
– Overview of Portrait of a Graduate lessons in RISE UP class
– Team names align to Portrait of a Graduate
– 6th Grade: Team WADE and Team Mastery
– 7th Grade: Team PILOT and Team Antonym
– 8th Grade: Team RISE UP and Team Purpose
– All students received a Portrait of a Graduate T-shirt
– Focusing on respect and effort for citizenship.
– Students are completing self reflections every Friday
- Counselors Report – Amy Skelton
– Reality Town is a chance for 8th grade students to experience what life is like to have a job, pay bills, and live a brief mini life.
– 6th Grade getting to know the counselors
– Moving students into reading and math intervention classes
– Student Connectedness Fall Survey this Friday. Students will take the same survey in the Spring.
- RISE Data – Spring 2022 Mindy Robison
ELA we increased 5% of students who are proficient.
Math we increased 3% of students who are proficient. Math was hit very hard district wide with COVID.
Science we increased 4% of students who are proficient.
We have also increased the number of students tested in all areas.
- TSI Update (Targeted School for Improvement) Mindy Robison
75% of students will meet or exceed expected growth on the Reading Inventory (RI) during the current school year.
60% of students will meet or exceed expected growth on the Math Inventory (MI) during the current school year.
On a monthly basis, at least 95% of students will be recognized through our school-wide positive behavior intervention system.
- 100% of students were recognized in August
Student connectivity and wellness will increase as measured by improved scores from the pre and post wellness survey through the implementation of the after-school program, counseling supports, and lessons in homeroom on Portrait of a Graduate.
Focusing on growth allows us to meet the needs of each individual student and meet students where they are at and encourage them to grow.
State is revising the process/procedures.
More information will be coming.
- Teacher Student Success Plan Mindy Robison
Funded with the Teacher Success Funds and LAND Trust
- TSSA/LAND Trust Budgets Mindy Robison Budgets have not yet allocated
Anticipating around $225,000 total
- Adjourn Pamela Brown
Motion to adjourn: Ben Wood
Second: Kathy Anderson
Our next meeting will be online on October 5, 2022
District Resources and Information for SCC Members: