Service Reflection & Make a Difference Project
MYP Service Reflection
Students and Parents - If you would like to submit your service reflection to Ms. Allen electronically, click here.
Service is a requirement of the Middle Years Programme. Students are expected to complete 14 service reflections throughout the programme to earn the Gold MYP certificate. There is no hour requirement for the service reflections. Students simply need to serve others and reflect on it. Service reflections are collected through Trojan Time classes.
MYP Make a Difference Project
Students - Click Here to access the Make a Difference Google Doc.
Before accessing the googledoc you need to be signed into your csd.docs account. Follow these steps:
1- Go to http://csddocs.org
3- Password: student number
4- You should then be logged into your CSD docs account.
5- Click Here to access the Make a Difference Google Doc
6- This will bring up the view only version of the document. You need to go to file and make a copy to save your individual project document.
7- Name the file your first name last name and the first letter of your history teacher’s last name and your class period. John Smith who has Ms. Cox 2nd period would save his file as John Smith C2 M.A.D. Project
10- Click send and then done
11- Follow the guidelines in the document to complete your Make a Difference Project.
The Make a Difference Project is designed to be the culminating activity for the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and is completed during 8th grade. It is separate from the service reflections mentioned above. Students will design a project of their choice that answers the question, how will I make a difference? Reflection is a major component of the Make a Difference Project. We want to students to evaluate who they have become and what they want to do as a result of their MYP education. Work on the actual project will occur outside of school time. Students will complete the reflection portion of the project in their history class. The Make a Difference Project is a requirement to earn the MYP certificate. It will be graded on rubrics and contains four main components with the following due dates:
Make a Difference Deadlines
1- Criterion A: Investigating a Goal
Bradfield’s Classes: Friday, September 23rd
Rogers’s Classes: Friday, October 14th
2- Criterion B: Plan for your Goal
Bradfield’s Classes: Friday, October 14th
Cykalewicz’s Classes: Friday, October 28th
3- Criterion C: Taking Action
Bradfield’s Classes: Thursday, January 19th
Cox’s Classes: Thursday, February 9th
4- Criterion D: Project Reflection
Bradfield’s Classes: Friday, February 24th
LaCross’ Classes: Friday, March 10th
Ideas for Make a Difference Project:
- Create visual aids for students learning English in the elementary school
- Design puzzles to help students understand the Pythagorean theorem
- Create a welcome system for new students to our school. Could include a bag or folder containing useful information about the school and community.
- Study a traditional cultural dance and make a video of your performances at different events highlight ethnic dance.
- Create a “memory quilt” from scraps of fabric taken from clothing, linens, other items that remind a loved one of a someone they lost to cancer.
- Design a website to teach people to play the guitar.
- Create pocket translation guides for use on construction sites where managers and workers speak different languages.
- Create a short play to raise awareness of impact of prejudice on individuals and society.